Find below all the Information you might need on how to register with the UNHCR, how to renew your registration and how to benefit from their services.


1. ​Syrian Refugees

Since the 5th of May 2015 all registration with UNHCR has been suspended until the Lebanese Government gives new instructions. In the meantime, you can call the UNHCR and provide them with some basic information about your name, your phone number, the size of your family, the date of arrival and your current situation in Lebanon. After that the UNHCR will schedule an appointment. However, kindly note that this appointment is not a registration appointment.


The refugee registered before May 5 obtains a document issued by the UNHCR: UNHCR Registration Certificate (“UN Paper”).  This document includes your family members’ pictures, dates /places of birth and a file number.

All your information is confidential and will not be shared without your prior consent.

This document is not a formal identification, it can in no way substitute the residency permit issued by the Lebanese authorities/General Security Office (GSO) and it’s valid for two years and should be renewed at the UNHCR registration center in the area where you live.

It’s vital that you communicate any changes to your place of residence or phone number to the UNHCR. This information will allow the UNHCR to easily contact you and for you to receive assistance at your new address.

You do not need to go to the registration center to update your information. You can send a SMS to UNHCR SMS Info System. Send ONE SMS to 70-262656.


2. Palestinian Refugees

Palestine refugees can record their details with UNRWA once they have been in Lebanon for 14 days. Access to UNRWA health care centers and schools is granted as soon as you arrive. If the family has Syrian members they should contact UNHCR for details about their registration, since UNHCR only registers Syrian refugees.

In case your spouse is a Palestinian refugee from Syria registered with UNRWA, the rest of the family (regardless of their nationality) can also be recorded with UNRWA for emergency assistance.


3. Lebanese Citizens

The High Relief Commission (HRC) is the Lebanese government body providing humanitarian assistance to Lebanese returnees who lived as residents in Syria since 2006 or earlier and returned to Lebanon after March 2011 (as a result of the crisis).

You can approach a local authority (municipality or SDC) and ask them to refer the case to the HRC or you may approach the HRC headquarters in Beirut directly (Address: STARCO Centre, Block C, 8th Floor, Omar Al Daouk Street, Minet El-Hosn, Beirut; Tel.: 76-042080).

As Lebanese citizens, returnees are eligible for assistance and services provided by government.

They can benefit from a range of services provided by the Lebanese government. The Ministry of Social Affairs’ Social Development Centers (SDCs) offer healthcare, psycho-social support, daycare facilities and elementary training. At the SDCs, returnees can also present their case and possibly benefit from the government’s National Poverty Targeting Program if they meet the criteria and different forms of assistance provided by international organizations.

Renewal of the UNHCR Registration Certificate for Syrian Refugees

1-When to ask for a renewal appointment?

Ask for a renewal appointment one month before your UN paper expires.

The procedure to follow when asking for a renewal appointment depends on the region you are registered in.

Region You Are Registered In




Head to the registration center in the area

Monday – Friday from 8 AM – 2 PM


Head to the registration center in the area

Monday – Friday from 8 AM – 2 PM


Head to the registration center in the area

Monday – Friday from 8 AM – 2 PM


Call 76500380

Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM – 4 PM


Call 08930468

Monday – Friday from 8 AM – 4 PM


2- On the day of the appointment:

  1. Come with all family members registered with you. The UNHCR files of those who fail to come will be deactivated. Thus, they will not appear on the renewed UN paper and they will lose their UNHCR provided assistance.

  2. Bring all the important documents: passports, family booklet, IDs, etc. 

  3. Documents to support changes in your family, i.e. birth\marriage\death certificate, etc.

  4. New phone number in case you changed it.


3- If you don’t renew your UN paper:

  1. You and your family cannot access UNHCR and UNHCR partners’ assistance services.

  2. You and your family will be inactivated at UNHCR if your certificate has been expired for more than three months.

4- Cost of the renewal:

The renewal of your UN paper is free of charge, as any UNHCR services. If anyone asks you for money or favors in return for your renewal please contact UNHCR immediately.

Rate This Page: