Child of a Lebanese Father- Abroad
Source: "Birth Registration Procedures in Lebanon" (2014) a manual prepared by Frontiers Ruwad Association in patnership with the UNHCR and funded by the European Union, .
If Birth Occurs Abroad
The parents’ marriage should be registered in Lebanon or abroad.
To organize the birth certificate:
To declare and execute the birth registration:
Procedures and Steps:
- Obtain, authenticate, and translate certificate in accordance with the procedures of the country of birth.
- Apply for birth registration in the Lebanese mission abroad (embassy, consulate general, honorary consulate).
- In the absence of a Lebanese mission in the country of birth, apply to register in the nearest mission to the country of residence or where the birth took place.
- Send the dossier to the Lebanese embassy or consulate abroad through registered mail.
- Once it receives the application, the Lebanese mission refers it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants in Lebanon, to be delivered to the competent authorities. The application is given an incoming number, which should be kept for future reference, particularly if you need to follow up on the matter.
- The ministry refers the application to the Personal Status Department in the DGPS, which refers it, in turn, to the father’s personal status register.
- Once finalized by the Personal Status Department, the dossier is returned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants to inform the concerned parties.
There are some situations where the conditions cannot be met or where some of the required documents to register a child are missing. Below are additional requirements for some of the typical situations:
forumWhat if my marriage is not registered at the DGPS in Lebanon?
In this situation, the birth attestation must be accompanied by the marriage certificate issued at the Lebanese embassy or consulate and which had been duly authenticated. The marriage and birth will be executed in Lebanon at the same time, i.e. the parents have to register their marriage with the Lebanese consulate and then submit both the marriage certificate and birth certificate together in order that they are both executed at the same time administratively in Lebanon. The legal one-year delay for administrative birth registration (meaning before having to go to the courts) does not apply for birth abroad.
Administrative registration stages of births to a Lebanese father occurring outside Lebanon: